.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fickle Knitter

I've been a fickle knitter lately. I've had a hard time sticking to one project, and also to really loving the project at hand. I'm a one-project type of knitter normally but lately things haven't been working out that way. Case in point: I started the Bed Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks and have completely stalled out:



Okay, really I have completely run out of yarn and have had no success in finding more in the same color. I'm going to give it a week, go back to the yarn store, and then make some decisions. I may have to order off of the internet.

I recently finished the Target Wave Mittens:



These are made from Debbie Bliss Tweed yarn in a pink colorway, from the Norah Gaughan pattern in the 2006 Winter IK. I'm sort of lukewarm about the pattern and the finished mittens and the yarn. Let's start with the yarn. It's hard. It's even a little bit rough. Frankly, it feels like acrylic. The mittens themselves are knit flat from the wrist up to the tip, the tip is seamed, then you pick up stitches around the opening left for the thumb target. Then you knit flat and eventually seam up the rest of it. I'm not a big fan of seaming in general and this seemed (a pun!) like a lot of work for a little pair of mittens. Plus I think the end product looks a little...puckered. I may not feel that way if I had actually knit the stripes (like the pattern is written) but I doubt it.

Speaking of Nora Gaughan, I think I've found my way out of my knitting funk:



That's one little pink swatch, made from RYC Wool Silk DK. It's my swatch for the Vintage Pink Cardigan, designed by Norah Gaughan. I've been wanting to make this cardigan for a long time now, and I'm really excited about it. I'd like to leave you with one last picture of my weeping cherry tree:


3 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Octopus Knits said...

How exciting! I love the Vintage Pink Cardigan (it's on my really long "too knit" list) and generally enjoy Nora Gaughan's designs, so I'm definitely looking forward to following your progress with it.

I hope you are able to find a solution for your socks.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Annie said...

I can never seem to stick to just one project at a time. Grrr.
Can't wait to see how the cardi works up!

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your bed sock is turning out. What yarn did you use? I am thinking of knitting the sock myself--it's gorgeous!--but looking at the gauge she's listed, it seems impossible to meet. Good luck with the sock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf