.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Monday, April 30, 2007

I've Been a Bad Blogger

I may not have been posting this last week or so but I have been knitting. To give you a preview of some of the new projects:





Like I said, I've been knitting. Today I want to talk about a somewhat older project though: the Gentlemen's Socks with Lozenge Pattern that I knit for Stephen. I finished them:




They fit Stephen's feet really well.
Project Stats:
Pattern: Gentlemen's Socks with Lozenge Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock solid in Cedar
Needles: Size 1 dpn's
Mods: changed number of stitches to fit Stephen's feet, substitued an eye of partridge heel, knit fewer repeats of the ribbing pattern on the cuff

I've been on a real sock knitting kick lately, and these were really fantastic to knit. The pattern is well written and the stitch pattern was easily memorized. These are not too fussy for a man, and not too boring for the knitter. The perfect combination for a man's sock, really. I actually bought this book in part because there were so many knittable men's sock patterns in it. Most of my sock patterns are for women's socks, adn I really like to knit lace socks for myself, so I found myself with a dearth of patterns for Stephen. Now, with Knitting Vintage Socks as part of my library I have quite a collection of socks for men. One interesting detail in this pattern is that there is a "seam" stitch that is always purled. Since I had to decrease the number of stitches to fit Stephen's foot, my seam stitch is actually slightly off-center.

I loved working with the Lorna's Laces. I like the subtle variation in the yarn color and, as always, I love the feel of Lorna's Laces. So far, I haven't found another sock yarn that I like better (although Socks That Rock has fast become my second favorite sock yarn.) I didn't think that I would have enough yarn for a pair of men's socks so I actually knit these socks shorter than the pattern recommends. As it turns out, I probably shouldn't have worried.

I enjoyed making these socks and probably would make them again, given enough time between projects.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Hannah Six said...

Your socks look terrific!
I've been browsing this pattern on the Web because I started knitting it a couple of weeks ago...Don't know why the stitch count didn't send up a red flag! Now I'm concerned they won't fit. How many stitches did you cast on?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf