.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Monday, July 10, 2006

Punk Rock Purse: Finished!

I totally finished the punk rock purse. (Have you noticed that I sound like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Yeah? That’s Totally Rad, Dude!) I am happy with it, except for one small detail. It sags. I suspect that this is the result of two things: one, I modified the project and turned it into a purse instead of a backpack, and two, it’s knitted and therefore the material is quite stretchy. I’ve been trying to think of ways to stabilize and strengthen the material and I think that I will possibly try a couple of things. First, I’m going to sew the lining to the back seam of the top of the purse. Since the cotton lining inside the purse is less stretchy than the knitted bag portion, I think this will help somewhat. I’m also toying with the idea of creating some sort of stabilizing strap thingy. Obviously this is an idea that I need to give a little more thought to.

Since I’ve already expounded on the purse quite a lot I think I will leave you with this: the gusset is a bitch. It is a bitch to sew the gusset to all four sides of the square back and front pieces. It is simply a bitch to get it to fit just right. If you’re going to make this project then you should make peace with that now. Personally, I had to re-pin the gusset several times on each piece before I got it to fit right. This is for the gusset on the bag and the gusset in the lining.

So what am I working on now? Well, I’ve started the Viennese Shrug from Summer ’05 IK. It’s a very pretty shrug with a “leaf spray” pattern (that’s the swatch above.) I’m making mine with pink Baby Ull. I’ve really been on a pink and a baby ull kick lately. I think it will come in handy in the fall. I also finished my first baby hat for the breastfeeding charity. It’s also in Baby Ull, spring green, and its uber-cute.

Lastly, thank you Glaistig, I really appreciate the kind words and the encouragement. I swear that some days I can feel the gray hairs coming in I’m so stressed out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf