.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why Kate Gilbert is a Genius

Do you know what I like in a pattern? When the finished product is really pretty, neat, or downright cool, and the pattern is clever. Clapotis (from Knitty, but you knew that right?) is clever. Very, very clever. You start by casting on two stitches. How neat is that? No fussing with casting on a million stitches, and having to make sure you have enough tail for a long tail cast on, or counting the stitches as you go along, or whatever. Two stitches! Genius.

It just gets better from there. Once you’ve got your two stitches on you increase in a totally predictable way until your Clapotis is as wide as you think it should be. Then you work the straight rows. These two are also really easily memorized, and make perfect sense. In fact, this pattern is so clever and is set up so well that it makes it hard to screw it up (not impossible, but difficult, you know?) The decrease rows are the same, very similar pattern repeat, and you decrease down to two stitches. No silly binding off of a million stitches either. I haven’t even mentioned the fun of unraveling the dropped stitches. Fun!

Anyway, Clapotis is clever, versatile, easily modified to be bigger or smaller than the original pattern, and is quite striking when finished.

I hope these pictures make up for the other crappy pictures from before. Also, the new project up there is one finished “simply lovely lace” sock from Spring IK. They are going along quite well presently. I didn’t even swatch and it fits my foot quite well.

2 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Blogger Emma said...

Definitely a clever pattern. I was thinking that the whole time I was knitting it!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Moni said...

I'm getting ready to knit my 3rd clapotis! I love that pattern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf