.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Saturday, January 06, 2007

What's the Absolute Worst Time to Run Out of Yarn?

If you guessed at 11:00 p.m. on a Saturday night, then you are correct! Not only is it too late to run to the yarn store tonight, there won't be a yarn store open until MONDAY (edited), and the store where I originally bought the yarn won't be open again until Tuesday. Fucking fabulous. Now, if I were a smart knitter who plans ahead and anticipates problems then I would have went to the yarn store today,when it was open. But I'm not that kind of knitter. I'm more of a "oh, I'll have enough. Surely I will." kind of knitter. I am delusional, in fact. And where did I run out? Well, right at the end of the center repeat on Ene's Scarf. All I have left to do is the last chart, which basically decreases until there are 18 stitches left.

I have to also admit to going a little nutso tonight. Even though I could tell that I didn't have enough yarn to finish the project, I couldn't stop knitting until I ran out of yarn. I just had to know how far it would go. In the end, it turns out, it went pretty far but not quite far enough. I may have also driven my husband into the next room through a combination of several hours of Cast-On, and screaming at the tangled yarn (the remnant of my first failed, frogged, attempt at knitting the scarf) that I felt compelled to untangle so that I could knit with it. Ultimately, I snipped that bit of yarn twice during the unraveling because it's silk and it sticks to itself. This means that I had three seperate pieces of yarn: one that lasted a row and a half, one that lasted a row, and one that lasted about two rows. Yes, I am crazy.

Oh, one other thing before I go to drown my sorrows. I put on my Viennese Shrug tonight (because it was cold) and found a place where I didn't weave in the ends. I'm really not quite sure how I missed it since I've worn the shrug a few times since I knit it, but perhaps tomorrow that's something that I will attend to. Anyway, I'm off to drink. Oh, and yes, I have been knitting for just over a year. In fact, I bought the Vogue Knitting magazine that started the knitting madness a year ago in October. So, a year and a few months of knitting. And where has it gotten me? Stuck, with no yarn, on a Saturday night.

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Moni said...

oh man. I've been there! It sucks. There were some really sticky ones for me, too. I was knitting a sweater with yarn from Artfibers. There is only one place where you can get Artfibers yarn and that is at Artfibers in San francisco. So I had to wait until my next trip up there to get the yarn to finish it. ugh.

Okay, you have to tell my what yarn shop in Spokane is open on Sunday. Is there one I'm unfamiliar with? I would be stoked to find a new one!

I have to say, I am seriously impressed with your knitting! You have accomplished more in a year than I have in several! Your an inspiration!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger brewerburns said...

Ugh. I meant Monday. Trust me, if I knew of a yarn shop open on sunday I would talk about it all the time. It was late. I couldn't type.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Glaistig said...

Yep, now I know I'm normal. Knitting until you run out of yarn. Cutting yarn and ending up with segments. Yelling. It's all there. Thanks!!

I too am inspired by your 2006 lovely and diverse feats.

Quote: "Anyway, I'm off to drink." Cheers! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf