.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ene's Scarf: Progress Report

Well, there's not much new to report over here. I got my voice back this morning (really, it could have stayed away a few more days,) I finished the second repeat of the third chart on Ene's Scarf, and Stephen and I went to dinner last night at the "I'm Too Hot For You" restaurant. The ITHFYR is the one place in Spokane where we've ever been turned away ("we're only taking parties with reservations tonight") and where they always seat us next to the kitchen. Why do we keep going there? I'm not really sure but I think it might have something to do with the gorgonzola fries. Now that I think about it, it's probably good that we can only get in there about half the time.

As my rows for Ene's scarf get shorter and shorter I've started to stress about two things: how to wash it and how to weave in the ends. The label on the yarn specifically says "do not soak." But I really, really want to at least give it a good dip in some luke warm water. After doing some googling it seems that it probably instructs you not to soak because it is silk and soap breaks down silk. Therefore, if you soak silk in soapy water you can damage the silk. But what if I soak it in water with no soap? What if I just give a good dunk in some luke warm water? Will the silk magically disintegrate before my eyes? Will I strip it of something necessary? If you know, could you please tell me? As for the weaving in of the ends, I think I know what I'm going to do with that one. I'm just going to do my best to pick a wide patch of stockinette in the fabric and weave in my ends as usual. I am a little worried about the slippery silk yarn pulling out though, as I use the shawl, so I'm still considering my options there.

I am also continuing to improve from the flu, but I've been kept up the last couple of nights with a hacking cough, which fucking sucks. Hopefully, I will be able to sleep tonight.

1 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Moni said...

I can't wait to see you Ene's scarf! I still want to make that one someday.

That's strange about the silk..I didnt' know you weren't supposed to soak it. It might explain some previous silk disasters I've had :). I did use eucalin for a silk sweater I made and it was fine with that, though.

Glad you are feeling better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf