Computer Update, Knitting Update or: The Fifth Circle of Hell
Well, I spent an hour on the phone with Apple Care Friday night only to determine that we couldn't pinpoint the problem. We replaced the modem on Friday and the ethernet cable from the modem to the computer on Saturday morning. Now, we have been instructed to take the computer back to CompUSA (where we bought it) so that they can test the ethernet card (which is built in) to see if it is fried. So, my computer is not fixed and we are probably going to be sans computer for quite some time (sob!)
I am not happy. Not happy at all. I'm really glad that we bought the Apple Care package and I'm really glad that there is somewhere to take the computer to have it fixed and all that but I also think that when you spend thousands of dollars on something, it should actually work, and work well. We've had it for less than two months. I am not happy.
In knitting news: I. AM. FREE.! I finished Emily and Lori's Center Square hats on Saturday and my BIL's Fuzzy feet on Sunday. Then I cast on for Kevin's hop pillow and decided that I was done. So, Kevin, I'm sorry. I'm not making the hop pillow for you. Instead, I cast on for Ene's Scarf from Scarf Style using the Kaalund 100% silk yarn I got for my birthday. Casting on was actually quite an adventure. The instructions tell you to cast on 375 stitches using the knitted cast on method. Since I know myself, I did the smart thing and put stitch markers every 20 stitches and I did manage to cast on the right number of stitches the first time through. Good so far.
Unfortunately, by the time I had cast one 375 stitches (this took more time than I'm willing to admit) I had consumed one or maybe two daiquiries and my brain was not functioning optimally. So I miscounted the number of repeats on the first row and didn't realize it until I got the end and had 20-some stitches left over. Fuck. So I tinked back half a row (that's about 187 stitches in lace weight silk) and re-knit. Of course, as I tinked back I lost a couple of stitches on the first couple double decreases (too much rum, not enough light) so I had to cast on four stitches at the end of that first row. It's fine though. I worked a couple more rows with no problems and then put it all away. My total progress for the night: four rows.
Stephen and I watched the BBC Pride & Prejudice last night. I love that movie. If there is any movie that can get me through casting on 375 stitches, working 375 stitches in lace weight, and then having to tink back 187 stitches, it's this movie.