.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Monday, July 24, 2006

Viennese Shrug, Finished, and Other Updates

I finished my Viennese shrug Saturday night and blocked it Sunday morning. Thanks to the 104 degree day we had on Sunday, it dried on the deck almost immediately. I like it and I think it will be fabulous in October. Right now I can hardly stand to put it on (it’s too hot here!)

Pattern Stats:
Pattern: Viennese Shrug from Summer ‘05 IK
Yarn: Baby Ull in (medium) pink, 7 balls used
Needles: Size 7, circular and dpn’s, size 6 and 4 dpn’s
Mods: None (except the yarn substitution)

Comments: I like this pattern. It does have a 42 row lace pattern which I never memorized, so it’s not a traveling project. That being said, I really like the lace pattern. It’s pretty. I also like the finished project. So far, I haven’t been able to wear it for more than a few moments (we’re experiencing a heat wave like the rest of the country) but it seems to be pretty wearable. I predict that it won’t stay on my shoulders as easily as I would like, but tends to sort of drape down my back. But pretty. Again, the pattern itself was well written, easy to understand, and contained no errors (that I noticed, anyway.) I recommend it. I also really like the fact that it’s not a traditional shrug (most of which bore me.) It’s got a little extra "something." So, if you like shrugs and like knitting lace, this would be a great project.

I’m on to my next project: another Sharfik from Grumperina (with a twist.) So far I’ve knitted the Sharfik pattern with no mods, except I narrowed it by taking out a pattern repeat, but I have a twisted little plan in my brain that will probably come into play later on. You see, I’m knitting it with the last of some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in a tan/khaki color. I have another ball of Debbie Bliss, but it’s a red, leaning towards burgundy, color. I originally intended to simply alternate colors every ten inches or so until I ran out. Then I realized that I would have to try and calculate when to alternate so as to maximize the usage of the beautiful stash yarn. Then this morning I was thinking about it and I made a decision. I’ve been feeling so half baked and wonky these days that I plan to knit the Sharfik pattern until I run out of the khaki colored yarn, then switch to an entirely different pattern when I start with the red. I haven’t decided what pattern yet but I think it will be the antithesis of Sharfik, which is ordered and symmetrical. In other words it will probably be non-symmetrical, unordered, and a little crazy and neurotic (like me.) Added to the fact that there will be more of the khaki color than the red, and this is going to be one interesting scarf.

I will let you know how it all works out.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Moni said...

I love it! what a beautiful pattern!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf