.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Thursday, May 11, 2006

I Am Incongruent

Incongruent (dictionary definition): inappropriate or unsuitable

I do not mesh with the warp and weft of my path in life. I do not fit. I lay on the surface, shimmering like an oil slick, but not mixing with the other constituents of my fate.

Yesterday I had my teeth cleaned. At the end of the appointment as I was waiting for the dentist to come in and “take a look” my dental hygienist asked me where I work. I told her. Looking a little confused she said, “but what do you do there?” I told her that I am an attorney. She looked even more confused. You’re an attorney? She said. The question mark was there, trust me. Yes. I replied.

She was clearly shocked. These questions always embarrass me. I know whenever someone asks me what I do that they expect something along the lines of “wait tables,” “receptionist” or possibly “teach elementary school.” That last one is a stretch though. I just don’t look or sound old enough to be that thing that I am: an A-T-T-O-R-N-E-Y. This doesn’t really bother me except. Except I sometimes believe that I am not enough of…something. Not old enough? That’s not it. Not smart enough? Yeah, maybe a little. Just. Not. Good. Enough. Period.

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with confounding expectations. All that this means is that you don't look like her IDEA of an attorney. Which is what? Ally McBeal? The sleazy guy from the TV law ads? Sam Waterston?

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Moni said...

It's funny that you write this because I'm kind of feeling the same way about my profession the past few days...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf