.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Top Three Reasons I'm Not Going to MIss My Old Job

1. I will never have to answer the phone again.

2. I will have the freedom to end conversations where someone is verbally abusing me.

3. I may never be bored at work again.

At first I thought that I would make a top ten list, but then I started wriing it and realized that most of the stuff on the list was little stuff, the kind of stuff that gets to you not because of the incident itself but because of the accumulation of it over time. So, what you have here are my top three reasons, which I think adequatly encompass all of the things that made me unhappy about my current job. Not having enough work to keep me busy made me look for other things to do, which led me to answering the phone, answering the phone led to me being the only person answering the phone, me being the only person answering the phone led to me being constantly interrupted when I did have work to do, the constant interruptions led to me being less efficient at completing my own work. It's a vicious cycle.

I'm basically going to be starting all over again at my new job. It will be like I'm fresh out of law school again, because I have never practiced in this area of the law. I have little courtroom experience (a shortcoming that will quickly be remedied) and my case load is going to triple and accelerate all at the same time.

In knitting news, I finished my pomatomus socks last night and they are currently drying by the heater vent. This morning I decided that it was time to cast on using the Sea Silk that Stephen bought me for Christmas. I ran into two problems. First, the Sea Silk needed to be wound into a ball. Since I don't have a ball winder, I usually enlist Stephen's help to hand wind skeins. Even with his help though I ended up spending a little over an hour untangling the latter half of the skein. That sucked ass. I really don't understand why some skeins wind into a ball relatively easily, and some skeins basically refuse to. The second hurdle that I ran into was that I thought the skein was 500 meters, instead of 400 meters, so I'm going to have to sit down and rework the pattern that I intend to use. Which pattern, you ask (you being the imaginary reader in my mind)? The scarf with the french trellis border on page 98 of Victorian Lace Today. Wait! I just opened the book and saw that the pattern actually calls for 450 yards of yarn. Interesting. Now, I have to go consult Dr. Google to find out how many meters make up 450 yards.

3 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger John Hanscom said...

I must have missed something. WHat is your new posting?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Moni said...

Congrats on your new job! I sounds like a good move. The other one sounded just miserable.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Annie said...

New job sounds promising and rewarding. I also hate the mystery of why winding some skeins are a hellacious nightmare, and others are cake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf