.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Friday, January 26, 2007

I Cleaned Out My Office Today

And good god, can you imagine how much crap I have collected in a somewhat large-ish office over the course of the last five years and some months? Lots. Some of it mine, some of it belonging to the firm, a lot of it stuff I should have thrown out at least months ago, if not years. Now, don't get me wrong, the office is still (as I sit in it) a bit of a pit. But a much cleaner and more empty pit than it was a few days ago. I'm surprised at myself, really. As I waded through the stuff I found myself getting a little nostalgic about my time here and old clients and stuff. Nothing like seeing the past through rose-colored glasses.

And what else have I been up to (aside from cleaning out my office, cleaning up my files, completely freaking the fuck out about the new job and ordering myself a new social security card with my married name on it?) Well, I've been watching some figure skating. The U.S. Figure Skating Championships are being held in Spokane this year, right now. Do you think that maybe after the men skate I will be able to go downtown and find Evan Lysacek crying into his beer? Or perhaps Johnny Weir drowning his sorrows in an Appletini? Are they even 21? I have no idea. And honestly, I couldn't care less about the men's event. I like to watch the women. I have a couple new favorite skaters, including Kimmie Meisner and Beatrisa Liang. I also think the "technical advisor" should have her vision checked. If you were watching the women's short program last night, then you know what I mean. At least the announcers are pronouncing Spokane correctly. ("Kane" is pronounced like "can." Spo-can. Not Spo-cane.) And just in case you were wondering, this is a big deal for Spokane. Even the novice rounds were pretty much sold out.

As far as the knitting goes, I haven't worked a round on Kew since I cast on in the doctor's office. I'm really a one project kind of girl. I finished the center panel on my wide-bordered scarf and am knitting the second border. It's interesting. It's a knitted on border, and the border itself is knit horizontally. Basically, you have the last row of center panel stitches still on your needle, live. And then you have the border stitches. On every wrong side row you knit the last border stitch together with one stitch from the last row of the center panel. It's ingenious. I really like it. No awkward sewing of the border on or any of that nonsense. I have many rows to go, but I will take a picture of the scarf tonight. I really like it and look forward to wearing it.

Alright, I know that some of you (John Hanscom) have asked what my new job is. I haven't posted it until now both out of a weird superstition (what if I posted it and then they changed their mind?) and because I just didn't know how I wanted to say it. I'm going to be a public defender. I start Monday. I'm terrified.

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Moni said...

Congratulations again! yay! You will do great :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf