.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Many Ways in Which the Latvian Mitten is Kicking My Ass

This particular mitten has been kicking my ass from the very beginning. The very first thing I did was cast on 98 stitches (long tail cast on) with the wrong color. I ripped out and re-cast on using the right color. I did manage to knit the bottom of the cuff correctly.

It was waiting. I should have seen it for what it was. A fiendish, deceitful mitten. Last night I was knitting, knitting, knitting away on the pattern. I held it up and showed it to Stephen in its two-color-stranded glory. Only then did I realize that I had passed the point where I should have created the thumb hole. One pattern repeat earlier. Twelve rows earlier. Fuck. I ripped back. I placed the stitches back on the needles, counted them, lined up the first stitch of the row properly, and placed the thumb stitches onto a holder. But the mitten was not done fucking with me. Three and a half rows later I noticed what I should have noticed earlier: I had placed the thumb hole for a right handed mitten instead of a left handed mitten. This time I tinked back and re-placed the thumb hole.

This morning I managed to knit back up to where I was before I had to rip back the FIRST time. Fucking mitten. The good news is that I'm now past that place and there isn't really anything else that i could forget to place. Aside from the top decreases.

I also did a little yarn shopping. I purchased the yarn for my mother's Christmas present (socks, pattern yet to be chosen in Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Sock, Bittersweet,) another skein of LP in Spruce so that I can finish the Fuzzy Feet for my SIL to be, and 8 oz. of roving! 100% wool, dyed in a colorway called "cotton candy." Tomorrow: pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf