.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

To Re-Seam or Not To Re-Seam, That is the Question

Backyard Leaves is almost finished blocking (read: drying) and I still have not decided whether I’m going to rip out and re-seam the joined ends. I googled the scarf and saw the way that other people’s scarves looked, and mine is not terribly different. Apparently, there is some wonkiness inherent in that portion of the pattern. But then, I got a suggestion on the knittyboard to do a three needle bind off to seam the ends. Now, of course we’re talking about two cast on ends so I can’t do a true three needle bind off but I could probably fake one. I’m still ruminating on this one. Let’s review the pro’s and con’s, of ripping out the seam and re-seaming:

Pro
Less puckering in the join would look nicer
possibly a more even join could be achieved overall
three needle bind off might make a less bulky seam

Con
I have to find the original seaming yarn and unseam
I’m not sure I can do that
I can always find one seam, and cut the yarn, but you have to be really, really careful with that
The end result might not be that much better than the original attempt (thus wasting precious knitting time)

At the moment, I’m leaning towards ripping and re-seaming, provided I can find a seam to cut. Oh, I also wanted to make a correction to some earlier information: the yarn that I used for the scarf is Baby Twist, 100% baby alpaca, manufactured by Alpaca with a Twist. Previously I misidentified the manufacturer as Misty Alpaca. I seriously can’t say enough good things about this yarn. It is beautifully dyed to a bright pumpkin color, and it is soft like butter. It’s just beautiful.

Alright, moving on to my current project. You may remember that I started Miss Dashwood on Sunday night. Well, I finished up with the knitting and the sewing and the weaving in of ends last night. The only thing that I have left is to find some buttons and sew them in. The hat is darling. It’s also huge. Like it could practically fit me. Luckily, my sister’s kids have big heads. So it should fit just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf