.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Brewer Burns

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Greek Pullover

So, in an earlier post I said that I bought the Rowan Kid Classic to make the "Grecian Sweater" in the Fall ‘05 IK. Of course, what I meant to say was that I’m using it to make the Greek Pullover by Sharon Shoji. Can I just say that I love this yarn? It’s pretty, it’s soft, it has a fabulous mohair halo, and the color is amazing. It’s a rose-pink color, by the way. Yes, I am still obsessed with pink. No, I don’t know when its going to end and yes I know that having this amazing obsession with pink at my age is a little pathetic. What can I say? I was pink-deprived as a child. (Okay, that’s a lie but I can’t think of a better explanation for the pink thing.)

Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I really, really love A Great Yarn (where I bought the Rowan.) Why? Because when I told them that what I really needed was one more skein of Rowan Kid Classic in color 842 the owner of the store (Mary) sent her husband home to look for more Rowan Kid Classic in color 842 and promised to call me later in the afternoon and let me know what he had found. When she called me later and told me that they couldn’t find the extra Rowan that they knew they had in color 842, she offered up a pretty lavender color (841, actually the color called for in the pattern) and I said I would come get it. Then, five minutes later Mary called again and told me that they had finally found the extra stash of Rowan in the back room of the shop and they did have one more skein in color 842. I was ecstatic. In closing, they also have a ball winder available so that I did not have to hand-wind 400 yards of Socks That Rock, and while I’m sure that Stephen will really miss that special bonding time that we have when we wind my skeins of yarn into balls, I am still really grateful for this.

The Greek Pullover is really moving along. I finished the back last night and started on the front. It’s just zooming. I’m really quite impressed with my own speed. Really, though, I think the speed comes from: the size 8 needles, the openness and lightness of the fabric I’m making, and the fact that I’m making the smallest size. This means that either I’m going to end up with a sweater that will only fit my fictional younger, thinner, self, or that it will fit just right. Honestly? I’m just trying to avoid the issues that I had with my Lotus Blossom Tank, which I still have to be really careful about bending over in for fear of exposing the whole of my bosom to perfect strangers. (and yes, I know that a blend of kid mohair, lambswool and nylon is not going to behave the same way as mercerized cotton, but I’m still paranoid about it.)

Oh, also, just in case you were wondering, I swatched before I began this pattern. Really. See up there? That’s the swatch.

Okay, really, last thing, Stephen and I had a conversation last night that I’m still laughing about. Seriously, it was like an episode of Three’s Company, but funnier (and with less John Ritter, who I love and am sad that he died so unexpectedly.) We have both learned an important lesson in the importance of communication in a marriage (It’s Important!)

Have you seen Ghost World? If you haven’t then you should. It’s got Thora Birch and Scarlett Johanssen and it’s quite funny, in a quirky way.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Moni said...

I swear, we must have the same taste in patterns :). I love that greek pullover pattern! I can't wait to see someone actually knit it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page

<< *.* >>
RingSurf